The benefits of doing cardio are vivid and clear in our faces everyday, but many people don’t know what’s an effective cardio routine. Being fit requires to be strong, fast, and athletic. An hour on the elliptical, a walk on a super inclined treadmill, or a jog in the park will not help you attain these qualities. A successful cardio routine involves some key elements that are not in most programs.
1. PLAN: Know exactly what you want to do ahead of time. Go for 2-3 sessions per week and increase your workouts intensity throughout your training sessions.
2. TIMING: Try not to skip your cardio, if you are then try doing them first thing when you go to the gym.
3. WARM-UP: Doing warm-ups will increase your mobility, decrease your chance of injury, and prepare your bodies systems for the task at hand.
4. AVOID STEADY STATE CARDIO: Unless you’re training for a long-distance race, avoid staying at the same pace for an extended period of time at all cause during you cardio routine. Go for HIIT workouts which are more effective that we are going to talk about later.
5. MIX IN EXERCISES: Try mixing in body-weight exercises in-between your run or cardio routine.
6. COOL DOWN: Try bringing your heart rate back down to normal pace, this will improve your recovery process and progressively slow the body down after an intense session.
7. KEEP TRACK & RECORDS: Keep track & records of how far you went and the tempo/pace used to get there. Numbers don’t lie, documenting your progress will keep you in coordination with what works and what doesn’t.